Friday, August 9, 2013

Making Space, Transitions, and What Comes Next

Making space has come to mean so much more to me in the past few months, than it did in the prior thirty plus years of my life.  Making space when I was young was cleaning out toys that were babyish.  Making space as a teen was rearranging my desk so I could have my own phone line or moving my CDs so I could buy the newest single.  Making space then was child's play.

But now as a mom, a wife, a friend, a gardener, an organizer, a writer, a complete person, making space is about so much more than physical space.  It is about space in my schedule to breath.  It is about space in my life to be available to those I love whenever they want.  It is about space in my thoughts to be creative.  It is about space in my life to continue exploring and learning.  It is about the space in my house to really look at what we own and make sure we have the energy and desire to care for it all.  So with the desire to make space has come the world of transitions.

Transitions are hard for some people and some transitions are harder than others.  In the past few months, my family has faced some easy transitions and some much, much harder.

We have looked at some, not yet all, of our possessions and started to really put our ownership of things into perspective.  Does this bring me joy?  Do I want to take time to care for it?  These were the easy transitions and we have even laughed at seeing hundreds of our things spread out and realizing not one of them is worth our time caring for them.

Some transitions, like the re-homing of kittens born in the spring have been more pressing for allergy reasons, but difficult.  Giving up my nanny position after 20 months of opening our home and hearts to three children, much, much more difficult.

We have started our transition to a life with less income, fewer activities, less stuff, and more freedom.

So the question that sits before me, us, is what comes next!

No comments:

Post a Comment