Saturday, November 1, 2014

Ooops. . . I forgot, I am

It is so easy in my every day life to get swept away with what I do.

I do care for my kids, I do chat with my husband, I do plan events, I do homeschool, I do teach classes, I do laundry, I do crack terrible jokes, I do procrastinate, I do rearrange my furniture too often, I do find ways to avoid washing dishes; but in all the doing I seem to lose the who part of me. . . .who am I?

I do the whole default parent thing (haha, you really should read this blog if you aren't sure what a default parent is),  but even as I chuckled at the writing in that blog, I was struck with the huge power of not being a mom, but THE MOM.  I am the only mom my little cherubs get.  I am the one and only.  That is amazing and powerful and a LOT of responsibility and WOW!!! I remember holding each of my babies for the first time and having the sense of awe that we were together and yet this little article struck a chord in me. I should not ever have let that awe slip my mind because of a little daily routine or stress.  With great power comes great responsibility and remembering that I am THE MOM is a huge responsibility.

As is the way with my overactive mind, I started to think about all the things that I am. . . .not the things I do.  I am so much and yet, I seem to so easily have lost myself in the list of what I do.  Yet, the solution is not to do less, it is to remember that who I am is what brought me to do those things in the first place and to return to the things that I have wondered away from.  It is about remembering the I am.  I am the mom who adores her kids and wants to experience life with them.  I am the community builder that has a knack for bringing people together and creating culture.  I am the woman who chose to marry the best man for me.  I am the writer who has a story to tell. I am the traveler who becomes restless in one place for too long.  I am me and I am so thrilled to be finding myself again.

1 comment: